Saturday, February 7, 2009

Snowed In B-day!

Things have been pretty crazy around here with sick kids and such, so blogging has been put on the backburner lately. But I'm hoping to get caught up over the next few days... just a warning.

So last week I turned 28 on the 28th. Naturally, Mr. Wonderful had all sorts of special plans... he was going to secretly replace my turbo kick cd with a cd he made with him announcing to my students that it was my birthday, followed by the Beatle's b-day song, and then he was going to drop off flowers at the church so they would be waiting for me when I got to my Young Womens activity. But... we got 12 inches of snow overnight, so EVERYTHING was cancelled! (I told Mr. Wonderful he still earned brownie points for all his thoughtful plans.) But instead of the usual hectic craziness, we simply enjoyed a cozy day at home as a family... and then went sledding and made a snowman. And I'd have to say, it was the best birthday yet!

The snow wouldn't pack very well, so Mr. Wonderful got creative and stuffed the snow with shovels into different sized bins. It's a funky looking snowman, but it works!



Charity decided to share the coveted pacifier with the snowman.


I think the kids went down the hill on their sleds a total of 3 times... if that! It's so ridiculous! We spend over a half an hour to get them all bundled up for about 2 minutes of fun! Ha ha! Oh well...

When it comes to gifts, my wish list doesn't usually include fancy jewelry, expensive clothing, or the latest "must-haves", but meaningful and thoughtful gifts touch me the most. So I was really moved when I received this sweet gift from my hubby. I just LOVE this for all that it symbolizes, because I am so deeply grateful for the privelege it is to be a mother. Thanks again, sweetie!
I thought I'd share my all-time favorite recipe for German Chocolate Frosting. I got this from my Aunt Linda (the ultimate homemaker!) I didn't include a cake recipe because I usually just use a cake mix (duncan hines moist deluxe... the best!) because I just don't have all day to spend in the kitchen! But anyway, here it is...

German Chocolate Frosting:
1 cube butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned milk.
3 egg yolks
1 cup pecans
1 1/3 cup coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter or magarine in medium saucepan. Stir in sugar and canned milk. Then add egg yolks.

Cook, letting it boil on medium high stirring for several minutes. Add nuts and coconut. Then add vanilla and cool. Enjoy!!

It was soo good I ate nearly half of it! Ouch! How does that happen?! I just snitch a little here and there, and then all of a sudden it's half-gone! Oh well, it's my party I can pig out (and then cry) if I want to! :)
Check out our little poser grinning in the background!
We have a tradition on birthdays when we're enjoying the cake. We go around the table and have everyone share one thing they love or appreciate about the birthday girl/or boy. So when it was Benny's turn, he thought for a minute, and then with his little raspy voice he said, "You're the sweetest mommy I ever had!" Ha ha! It made my day. Moments like that remind me that it really is all about the little things in life. :)

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Sounds like my kind of Birthday! And that cake looks delicious. Thanks for the frosting recipe.

Saquel25 said...

Happy Birthday Nicole!!

traceyroxanne said...

So sorry that I missed your Bday! Liked the story about bundling up for winter play- been there- this year the kids can almost get all their gear on themselves. It's awesome. Oh, and sorry the sitting down- get to listen to RS lesson thing didn't work yesterday. Maybe next time!

Melisa said...

What a thoughtful Mr Wonderful you have! Glad it was a great birthday!

Mel said...

Happy birthday! I am so glad that I am not the only one who eats all of the cake themselves. I really have no problem doing it either! yikes.

The Scott Family said...

What a wonderful birthday! Isn't it amazing how the the best days in life sometimes are the most simple!!

in time out said...

Amazing snowperson. I love the marshmallow head. How fun, and you do have a wonderful Mr. wonderful.

jennifer said...

Happy birthday!

Very cute and creative snowman!

Anonymous said...

I just love Benny! He is an amazingly sweet little guy! What a memorable and fun birthday! I love your sense of humor about the cake! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...