Friday, March 12, 2010


I had the opportunity to go to Ohio last weekend to visit my mom. She was rehearsing for a concert, so we got to stay in a hotel with her, and enjoy some time together. It was so wonderful to be with her. But I've decided I'm officially insane. I drove the all the kids to Ohio and back by my pregnant self... that's 16 HOURS people. It was pretty crazy... but sooo worth it. I just love my mom so much. The kids were a little out of their element, and they didn't do very well on the trip, but we got through it.

I also had the opportunity to check on our house that still hasn't sold after 9 months. Ugh. Paying 2 house payments, and 2 utility bills for that long is pretty stressful. It has been a great test of patience for us. But there might be some exciting news... I'll post more about that later. But while I was there, we just HAD to squeeze in a trip to the CAKERY!!! And the Goodwill Outlet!!! My two favorite stores in Ohio. But the best was when we went to our old ward in Ohio on Sunday!!! And it was so wonderful to see all my friends there, and all the young women I love so much. I'm just so grateful I had the chance to reconnect with everyone. There's such an amazing love in that ward. I miss them all so much.

Here are a few pictures of our adventures in Ohio:

So this looks like Charity and a new little friend, right? But... no, it's not. It's Charity and my son Jacob.
Benny was surprised to see his baby brother in a swimming suit! haha!

Yes, there he is. Now before you judge my judgement... hear me out... I forgot to pack his swimming trunks, but I had an extra swimsuit for Charity.. And I certainly wasn't about to pack up all the kids again after 8 hours of driving, and go buy a new one for him. Maybe if it were my first or second kid, I would have hesitated... but I'm learning you just gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!

And clearly, he didn't seem to care much. :) I called him Jakelyn. People in the pool made a few comments about what a pretty girl he was, until we finally disclosed that he was actually a boy. They thought it was hilarious.

Then we went to the COSI museum in Columbus on Saturday. It was such an amazing place. It's voted the #1 science museum in the country by Parents magazine, and it didn't disappoint. However, what WAS disappointing was the line to get in!! We waited for about an hour just to buy our tickets. But we just made the best of it. My mom is my best friend (other than my hubby), so there is no one else I would rather burn an hour with.

The kids had a blast!
Nana and Jakey

This is kind of an interesting picture. This exhibit featured real fetuses at different stages of development. I think the kids got a better understanding of what has been happening inside of my belly. Luckily, they thought it was amazing, and they weren't grossed out by it one bit.

My mother is the most loving, forgiving, and kind-hearted person. I'm so grateful my kids get to have her in their lives, and that we got to spend some time with her.

Our ride home involved a lot of praying. First of all, I don't know why, but leaving my mom this time was particularly hard. I couldn't stop crying for over an hour. I think it just hit me that it will be a while before we get to be together again, and I really miss her so much when we're apart. So the kids started praying for me in the back seats... I think they were concerned that I had completely lost my mind.
Then when we got just outside of Chicago, we started fishtailing on the freeway, so I quickly took the next exit and pulled over. Unfortunately, I pulled over at the WORST possible area according to a few people who stopped and tried to help. They all said it was very dangerous, and suggested that we get out of there as quickly as possible. So we locked the doors, and prayed some more. Then I called Mr. Wonderful and he helped me arrange for a repair service through our insurance. But while we waited for the repairman to come, 3 of the 4 kids needed to go potty of course. But I didn't feel right about getting out of the car, so I distributed a few of Charity's pull-up diapers. (Like I said, you just gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! haha!) Anyway, after about an hour, the repairman finally came and took care of the tire. So lastly came a prayer of gratitude for cell phones, a good hubby who takes care of his family, and this wonderful experience in Ohio.


Jill said...

How scary! I am glad that you guys were okay. Thanks goodness for CELL PHONES and PRAYERS!

What's the exciting news on the house in OH???

I totally know what you mean - I cried before my mom even left to go home and after I dropped her off at the airport. I miss her so much. It's hard being so far away, isn't it? (((HUGS)))

6jardines said...

Nicole!!!! What a brave momma you are! I travelled alone with 4.....It iwas exhausting!!!!! I am so glad you guys are safe. I love your Mom too! She is the best!

Mel said...

I love the swimsuit!
My older son would so not go for that but when they are young, if they don't care, why should we!
Looks like lots of fun

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

You never cease to amaze me, Nicole! And so creative too! Jake does make a very pretty girl... And I'm with you, nothing makes me want my mommy more than being pregnant.

shannon said...

Nicole! I love that you go way out of your way to spend time with your Mom. It shows what's really important in your life. What a great example for your kids. I also think it's great that you are able to just do what you need to do and not worry what others may think! You've built in some great memories and teaching moments. Glad you had a blast and were safe!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...