Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Amazing heights

Family life reminds me of the parable of the Chinese Bamboo Tree. After the seed for this tree is planted, you see no results at all for four years except for a tiny shoot coming out of a bulb. During those four years, all the growth is taking place underground to make up a deep root structure in the earth. But then in the fifth year, the Chinese bamboo tree grows up to eighty feet!!

Patience and hope are such important virtues in a happy marriage and family life. Although I love being a mom, and I recognize it as a worthy and honorable responsibility, I definitely have days where I feel discouraged, and that all my efforts seem fruitless. In other words... I see little return on my investments ;). So often, I'm anxious to try to come up with a quick fix solution to every problem, but I think sometimes, as a mother, I need to just have patience and hope that everything will work out in the end. These kids need a mother who recognizes their divine worth and potential, who continutally affirms them and most importantly who never gives up on them. My hope is that these kids will grow to be 'steadfast and immovable' in living righteously, and I am confident that if they choose to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, and make him the center of their lives, they will grow to amazing heights.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

That's so true. It's difficult, but if we keep trying - I know our children (and ourselves) will be blessed. I appreciate your insights into the gospel, Nicole. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love that parable. Thanks for sharing! You are such a good mom and such an example to me. I know your kids will often reflect on the wonderful memories of how their mom loved them, supported them, and built them into the great people I'm sure they will be (and are now). Keep up the great work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...