Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sundays


I LOVE Sundays. It's my favorite day of the week. I feel strongly that rituals and traditions keep families united and strong. So we have established a few rituals every Sunday that help to make it a special day for our family. First, and most importantly, we go to church as a family. Then, after church we have what we call "snack and snooze". We're usually starving because our meetings last 3 hours, so we have a big smorgasbord of leftovers from the week, and then we all crash and take naps.

In the afternoon, sometimes I'll get out a "Sunday jar" full of random ideas for service and other activities for the kids that are appropriate for Sundays. (I usually get that out if the kids say they're bored.) Then later in the evening, we make popcorn together, and watch a Sunday movie about Jesus, the Bible, or the Book of Mormon. It's a wonderful time to be close and to enjoy some time together. Lastly, we call Nana and Papa and each of the kids get to talk to their grandparents. We weren't very consistent in doing this for a while, but now that we have set aside a time every week, it has really helped to make it happen. Since we don't have any family here, it's a great way to nurture those important relationships.
Tonight was especially fun because Daddy set up the big pumpkin for us. Here are a few pictures from today...

The kids love making popcorn! They go crazy whenever it starts popping! I don't think we'll ever get microwave popcorn again, because this alternative is just too much fun!

It's showtime!Our ever amusing Daddy trying to make us laugh. I love to laugh, and he loves to make people laugh, so I think we're a good match. ;)

And naturally, there had to be at least one melt down! ha ha

Here's the silly glowing pumpkin we've put up every year since Celeste was born.

Poor Jakey wasn't too sure about this enormous foreign object taking over the front yard. He was pretty apprehensive about it and he kept clinging to my leg.

Who needs to rake when we have our very own little leaf collectors?!

Hope you enjoyed your day too! Do you have any Sunday rituals or traditions?

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I love Sundays, too! Your traditions sound like fun! I am sure your kids will look back on their childhood with fondness. :o)

Neoma said...

Does naptime count as a Sunday tradition?

nicole said...

Neoma- Absolutely! It's supposed to be a day of rest, right?!

Rachel said...

We always stuff ourselves and then nap too! Do all your kiddos nap on Sundays? How do you get the older ones to do that?! I fear for the day when Haley no longer naps and I have to give up my Sunday nap.

We like to take a leisure family walk around the neighborhood after dinner too. Sadly, the cold might be forcing this tradition to subside sooner than I thought.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...